Company: Dollar General Corporation
Posted on: April 11, 2019
Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than
15,000 retail locations in 44 states, 15 distribution centers and
130,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each
and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces
innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers
and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar
General, employees have numerous growth and development career
opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one
of Americas fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and lets grow
Responsible for the management of all employees in the effective
planning and implementation of all store processes, including
ordering, receiving, stocking, presentation, selling, staffing and
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Recruit, select and retain qualified employees according to
federal and state labor laws and company policies; ensure store is
- Provide proper training for employees; conduct performance
evaluations; identify gaps for appropriate solutions and/or
counseling, up to and including termination.
- Make recommendations regarding employee pay rate and
- Communicate performance, conduct and safety expectations
regularly; coordinate meetings and events to encourage safety,
security and policies.
- Ensure that the store is appropriately staffed and effectively
opened and closed each day. Personally open the store a minimum of
two times per week; personally close the store a minimum of two
times per week.
- Evaluate operating statements to identify business trends
(including sales, profitability, and turn), expense control
opportunities, potential shrink, and errors.
- Order to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets;
review ordering plan, seasonal direction and inventory management
issues on a weekly basis; follow up on Basic Stock Replenishment
- Facilitate the efficient staging, stocking and storage of
merchandise by following defined company work processes.
- Ensure that all merchandise is presented according to
established practices; utilize merchandise fixtures properly
including presentation, product pricing and signage.
- Maintain accurate inventory levels by controlling damages,
markdowns, scanning, paperwork, and facility controls.
- Ensure the financial integrity of the store through strict
cashier accountability, key control, and adherence to stated
company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Maintain a clean, well-organized store; facilitate a safe and
secure working and shopping environment.
- Ensure that store is adequately equipped with tools necessary
to perform required tasks.
- Follow company policies and procedures as outlined in the
Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and
company communications; ensure employee compliance.
- Complete all paperwork and documentation according to
guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams,
safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition,
subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier
accountability and deposit control.
- Ability to perform IBM cash register functions to generate
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling and
termination practices including legal compliance and internal
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and
practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE program, etc.)
- Good organization skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations
where limited standardization exists.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- One year of management experience in a retail environment
- Aligns motives, values and beliefs with Dollar General
- Supports ownership by tapping into the potential of
- Acts as a liaison between the corporate office and store
- Fosters cooperation and collaboration.
- Interacts with staff tactfully yet directly and maintains an
open forum of exchange.
- Demonstrates responsiveness and sensitivity to customer
- Applies basic principles of retail (i.e., ordering cycles, peak
inventories, merchandise flow, etc.).
- Provides continuous attention to development of staff.
- Recruits, hires and trains qualified applicants to fulfill a
- Ensures store compliance to federal labor laws and company
policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out
station, stock merchandise and unload trucks.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as
hand-held scanner, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise
containers, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional
lifting of up to 55 pounds.
- Occasional climbing (using ladder).
- Regularly driving/providing own transportation to make bank
deposits and occasionally to attend management meetings and to
other Dollar General stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Dollar General Corporation, Janesville , STORE MANAGER, Executive , Janesville, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!