RN - Medical Surgical Nights
Company: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Janesville
Posted on: October 10, 2019
Role Purpose:?Under the direction of the Director - Medical,
Surgical and ICU, utilizes the nursing process to identify patient
needs then systematically plans and implements a plan of care with
- Fosters, participates and is knowledgeable in Shared Governance
as defined at St. Mary?s Hospital using the conceptual framework
for nursing practice as a guide. Assumes responsibility and
accountability for own professional practice, continuing education
and competency (i.e., mandatory in-service, staff meetings). Seeks
learning opportunities. ???
- Shares expertise and knowledge with coworkers and peers.
Assists in orientation of new nursing personnel and/or performs
preceptor role. Supports the activities, decisions and initiative
of colleagues. ???
- Utilizes the nursing process to develop a care plan and deliver
patient care. Advocates for patient/family throughout the nursing
process. Acts as a clinical resource to and supervises care
delivered by LPN and NA. Delegates work appropriately. ???
- Follows hospital/unit directives; e.g. standards, policies,
procedures, protocols. Assumes responsibility for equipment
operation and maintenance. ???
- Demonstrates ability to recognize personal values and beliefs
and recognize own beliefs and values as separate from the patient
- Supports activities of colleagues. Participates in unit and/or
housewide quality improvement measures. Contributes as an effective
team member. Participates in productive/problem solving dialogue
(i.e., offers and/or seeks solutions to issues). Recognizes and
supports change. ???
- Uses best practice based on literature outcomes, integrates
into care provisions and decision making. Completes documentation
according to unit/hospital standards. ???
- Respects the confidentiality and dignity of patients.
Communicates effectively with customers. ???
- Performs charge nurse role. Communicates with Nursing
Supervisor at charge nurse meeting each shift and as unit needs
dictate. Assigns and reassigns personnel according to dynamics of
unit to maintain a balanced workload for current shifts. In
collaboration with the Nursing Supervisor, assesses status of unit,
making sure current and following shifts are adequately covered.
- Punctual for reports/breaks. Uses supplies effectively.
Completes work within required shift, i.e., end of shift; OT
minimal or nonexistent. ???
- Performs other duties as requested.?Minimum Requirements:
- Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN).
- Current Registered Nurse (RN) license granted by the State of
- Previous critical care nursing experience.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification.
- National Institute of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) Certification
within six months of date of hire.
- Provides care to medical patients who are critically ill
including, but not limited to: unstable angina, serious cardiac
rhythm disturbances, acute pulmonary embolism, acute respiratory
failure, acute endocrine disorders, acute medical illness (shock,
sepsis, GI bleed, drug overdose, alcohol withdrawal). Provide care
to surgical patients who are critically ill including, but not
limited to: carotid endarterectomy, general surgery and thoracic
surgery. Meets and/or maintains competencies appropriate to the
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)Physical
Requirements:?Employees in this position are, or can be, required
to possess the following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 50 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily.
- Standing or walking more than 4?hours a day.
- Running to respond to patient emergencies.
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 6?hours
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone
variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read
telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body
sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of
machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper
Keywords: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Janesville, Janesville , RN - Medical Surgical Nights, Healthcare , Janesville, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!